2016 Census Information
Canada’s next census will take place in May 2016. Statistics Canada will be hiring approximately 35,000 people across the country to assist in the collection of the census. A newsletter insert is included below to help ensure that your members and clients are aware of these job opportunities.
Additionally, your support in encouraging members of your network to complete the census will have a direct impact on gathering the data needed to plan, develop and evaluate relevant programs and services.
Census information is important for all communities and is vital for planning services such as schools, daycare, family services, housing, police services, fire protection, roads, public transportation and skills training for employment.
2016 Census Information Kits: Information kits have been prepared for both adults and children in classroom situations.
Here is the link for the 2016 Census Adult Education Kit. The 2016 Census Adult Education Kit has been developed for use in adult literacy and English- or French-as-a-second-language (ESL or FSL) classes across the country. All activities are classroom-ready.
Here is the link for the 2016 Census Teacher’s Kit. The 2016 Census Teacher’s Kit has been developed for use in elementary, intermediate and secondary classes across the country. All activities are classroom-ready and have been reviewed to meet curriculum requirements.
Census jobs in 2016: The majority of these jobs are non-office jobs that require staff to work in neighbourhoods and communities in all urban, rural and remote areas in Canada. The requirements are as follows:
- 18 years or older
- A Canadian citizen or eligible to work in Canada
- Able to commit to at least 20 hours per week including days, evening, weekends and holidays as required.
- A valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle are required in some areas.
- Candidates should be computer literate and have access to a home computer with Internet.
- Candidates must pass a written test, reference check, and government security assessment. Supervisory positions will require the candidate to pass an interview.
- Crew Leaders (supervisors): Crew Leaders will train, lead and supervise a team of Enumerators and be involved in the recruitment of staff. Varying employment periods between early March and the end of July 2016 depending on assignment and location. If you’re a proven leader in your community who can motivate others, this may be the job for you. Rate of pay is $19.91 per hour plus authorized expenses.
- Enumerators: Enumerators will distribute questionnaires door-to-door and conduct personal interviews and follow-up both in person and by phone. Varying employment periods between mid-April and the end of July 2016, depending on the assignment. If you like working with people and are detail-oriented, this may be the job for you. Rate of pay is $16.31 per hour plus authorized expenses.
The 2016 Census: Join the team!
Looking to make a lasting contribution to Canada, its communities and its people? Canada’s next census will take place in May 2016 and Statistics Canada is hiring approximately 35,000 employees across the country to work on the collection phase of the 2016 Census.
Staff are required for a variety of supervisory and non-supervisory positions between March and the end of July 2016.
If you’re interested in working directly in the community, meeting new people or earning supplementary income, then this kind of work is right for you! Apply online.