BCAPOP Conference Highlight: Lesley Stedmon “Negotiating Contraception”
Lesley Stedmon is a certified Sexual Health Educator through the Institute for Advanced Study of Human Sexuality as well as a graduate of the University of Victoria B.Sc (Nursing) Program. She lectures regularly at Vancouver Island University, is a consultant sex expert for VivaXO.com website, writes a monthly column for Future Medicine, and runs a consultancy business, Lesley Stedmon Consulting. Lesley provides sex coaching to women and their partners, as well as specialized sexual health education to families, schools and community service agencies. Utilizing a model of healthy sexual balance, Lesley focuses her work on a holistic balance, enhanced by personal empowerment and the self-identification of goals. Lesley has facilitated sexual health workshops in schools and community agencies since 2003. She speaks on a wide range of subjects, including sexual development, decision-making and sexual safety. She brings humour and ease to her workshops.
In her workshop on Contraception at the BCAPOP conference, Lesley will:
- Review contraceptive methods, efficacy, accessibility and cost. There is a range of options and clients may need help in how to find and use the one that is best for them.
- Discuss negotiating responsibility in relationships.
- Provide training on how to support clients in accessing emergency contraception in their community.
- Review recent changes in legislation that have increased accessibility to emergency contraception.
- Provide training on how to support clients in advocating the use of birth control “in the moment”
You can still register for the BCAPOP Conference by visiting www.bcapop.ca